Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Culture explosion

Over the last few decades, Korea has achieved its goals in becoming a country that has overcome its struggles from a poor economy into a successful country it is today. With this quick and successful development, Korea has adapted a lot of Western influence over the years. My parents who immigrated 30 years ago to the States from Korea can't even recognize how much Korea has changed since they've immigrated.

I mention all that because when I visit the big cities in Korea, it's amazing to see the contrast between the modern and traditional Korean culture. If you see the picture on the right, it's an example of what a lot of Korea looks like. It is such a contrast. Despite the focus on modern culture, on my trip so far in Korea, I've began to appreciate the cultural lessons I've learned that are focused on the aspects of Korean culture that makes itself so unique.

For a special performance for our program, we were able to experience such beautiful performances. One was a traditional dance called nongak, which is also known as the 'Farmer's Dance', The other performance is a group of young children that perform Tae Kwon Do, a Korean martial art.





Lastly, our program took us to a farm in the countryside to experience the farm lifestyle of Korea. It's not what you think like with cows, chickens, and lambs. This farm was focused on wheat and other crops. The cute old grandparents on the farm taught us to make egg holders from straw, make our own tofu, make our own rice cake, and played traditional Korean games. I had a blast with all these activities as I felt like living the childhood of my grandparents and parents.
a grandpa making me an egg holder
the cute grandpas
making rice cake, you POUND the rice
making tofu from soybeans, ORGANIC

No comments:

Post a Comment