Friday, February 3, 2012

Fears

For the first time in my life...errr....more like my life starting college and being a grown up, I'm fearing the future ahead.

I leave for South Korea in 2 days!!! BUT...I don't know what it will look like once I'm there. Will I like it? Will I hate it? Will I want to stay forever? Or count down the days of returning back home?

I think this newly developed fear of the future is the result of........lack of faith AND fear in my own culture. I fear going to Korea. The clashing values and traditions of Korean culture with my Korean-American self will be butting heads full on in Korea. I want to love the culture of my parents and grandparents.

My friend gave me the greatest reminder...
 "God is the king of culture (us humans of course have corrupted it) but i think that each culture displays something about our creator the trick would be to focus on the positive instead of be overwhelmed by the aspects of culture that might seem suffocating or just different...But we are agents of change you know and you speak truth through you actions. Maybe this dislike towards culture will drive you closer to God."

BAM. That's where my heart needs to be.
Thank you for that reminder, God, that you would speak through my friend to show me a picture of seeing past the ugly into the beauty of Your creation in everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment