
I've only been here about four days, and it seems like forever. So today as we went on a scavenger hunt around Quito, Amazing Race style, we had many interesting moments. One of our dear team members had a near death experience as she was close to being run over by the traffic, being scammed by a taxi driver, asking for business cards and a packet of mayonnaise (for the scavenger hunt) and getting blank stares in return. The best part of day was having a taxi almost drive off while I was about to get in, and the driver still kept going while we were yelling "ESPERA, ESPERA!!" I'm going to have get used to this. :) But oh I do love every encounter. The culture, the people, the scenery, and maybe even the smog blowing in my face as I was the streets.
As I've spent the last few days here, here are things about Ecuador I have learned from observation and advice from others:
- Pointing is not a good thing. I keep catching myself doing it! urrrg
- With this traffic, there may be many life and death experiences. Not really, but I can't apply my Chicago jaywalking skills here or I am out in a heartbeat!
- People are very friendly, and I appreciate their patience with the lack of Spanish skills I may have.
- The greeting here is not a handshake, but a beso. If you didn't know what that meant, it means kiss.
- There are even Asians in Ecuador. hahaha I can't get over it.
I can't think of anymore, so when I do...I'll let you know! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment