Sunday, May 1, 2011

Beauty of Ecuador

 I wanted to share what a friend, Chelsea Smith, from the semester abroad program wrote in her blog towards the beginning of our semester in Ecuador. The words were so beautifully written and described how I thought of my journey in Ecuador.
            
            "I feel God’s presence when I travel and get to experience the beauty and magnitude of his creation     firsthand. Travelling is worship. It is only through travelling that I am able to discover and better understand the world we live in and come to know the people we share it with. It is only by stepping on that airplane that I am able to conquer my irrational fear of flying (one horrible experience can turn you sour for years). It’s humbling to see my selfish pride diminish in the face of extreme hospitality, generosity and contentment, to see how I am unable to effectively communicate in a language other than my own. Travelling is another adventure, an opportunity for growth, to learn, to struggle through hardships and find peace within the storm. It’s part of this pilgrimage called life, and I am a pilgrim. It’s funny to me, how fitting that word—pilgrim—is especially while pertaining to my time in Quito and God’s sky blue presence in my life"

It isn't just that the country of Ecuador is so dear to my heart, but it was the experience that showed God through everything that lingers on in my mind. As Chelsea describes, Ecuador was a place where I grew and is now a part of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment