Saturday, February 12, 2011

Esta Bien!

So today was the day all of us, Semester Abroaders, were on our way to the home of our host families, where we will be staying for the next month. Talk about nerve-wrecking! I wasn't sure how I felt about this ordeal, but I wasn't too worried. As we lugged our huge suitcases over to the Youth World office, finally seeing the presence of our host families, I find myself to be fidgety. Can't speak for all of us, but most of us were nervous for what was to come in the next few moments. I finally met my host mom, Melba. She has one daughter, who I have yet to meet.

The house I'm staying is more north from where we were staying in a little gated community. It's pretty seguro as Melba told me that I can go running, walking, and play in the little park. My room is on the third floor, where it's the only room up there. It gives me a little privacy, and I'm blessed to have my own bathroom. One thing is that internet only works on the first floor, but I can work with that.

Not too long after arriving at Melba's home, we took a walk to the market to do some grocery shopping. It was like half a grocery store and half a store of random things like dolls to dishes. We stopped by at a little store filled with vegetables and fruits. For lunch, she cooked rice and a dish consisted of ground beef and vegetables. Muy rico! Then, hours later, we walked to a small store to purchase more minutes for my cell phone. For dinner, we had humitas, which is similar to a tamale. Muy rico tambien!

Conversations are going a lot better than I thought. I am able to understand Melba, and she helps me out with grammar whenever I try to say something. She knows very few English words, so it is kind of difficult. Supprisingly, with my limited Spanish and her limited English, we've had some meaningful conversations already. It's great.  

If you have time, pray for her and her family, as she is one of the few Christians in her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment