
#1 The program I came with called TaLK has made it possible for me to even come to Korea, which I have dreamed of since I was little. As all of my family now resides in Americs, this is my first time coming to Korea. And unlike other programs, I only have to work 15 hours a week while I get all the benefits like roundtrip airfare, housing, medical coverage and good pay. They also encourage us to explore the country of Korea.

#2 Although I call my students little punks, I have grown to love them dearly. They still are a nightmare in the classroom, but before class they just hang around me just because. They come to me with laughter, smiles, and sometimes a piece of their snack. I've come to learn that they just hate English and school in general, hence the horrible attitudes in the classroom. My heart has also softened as I found out a lot of their family backgrounds. Many of them live with one or no parents, living with their grandparents. They lack love, so you seem them reaching out to whoever they can.

#3 I had a fear, after hearing stories during orientation, that my school would abuse my ability of knowing Korean and English, or they might be disappointed to find out that I didn't have a "visible" foreigner face. BUT a huge blessing has been that my school teachers and staff have been so supportive. On my first day, they were so excited after they found out I spoke Korean. Everyone, including the principal, always check up on me to see if everything is okay. They have also invited me their staff dinners making sure I didn't feel left out. I was blown away when the head teacher came over when I was sick to make sure I was okay. She then went out and bought me porridge, eggs (random), bread, and milk. I'm so grateful.
#4 Somehow I know someone in this random country town I was placed in. It's seriously a divine appointment. The story goes that my dad knows a missionary pastor from when we lived in California. This pastor couple have taken a break and are now living in Korea as they have a ministry that reaches to foreigners mainly from Southeast Asia. The pastor's wife was divinely placed to teach at my school once a week!

#5 I'm so thankful I found not just a church, but a church family. I was honestly just planning to pass through during my 6 months teaching, but even during this short time, I have been learning so much. It's crazy that everything I wanted in a church is found here in Korea.

#6 Last, but not least, I've been so blessed by the hospitality of two of my friends, Roxanne and Maigao. Since my church is in the city next to mine (about an hour away), my friends have always been so gracious to let me stay at their places all weekend. Since Busan is a great and beautiful city, we also spend our weekends with many adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment